Dumplings Around the World: Korean Dumplings (Mandoo)
Korean dumplings, also known as Mandoo, are a traditional dish in the Korean Lunar New Year Banquet. This dish, nevertheless, is not complicated to prepare whatsoever. They are little dumplings stuffed with filling made of meat and/or vegetables. Mandoo can be boiled, pan-fried, deep-fried or baked in the oven.
Let’s learn how to make Korean dumplings.
- Lean ground beef: 1 pound. You can use pork instead.
- Onion: 1 unit, finely chopped
- Cabbage: 1 cup, finely chopped and parboiled
- Tofu: 1/2 cup, chopped
- Mung bean noodles: 4 ounces. You can use sweet potato noodles as an alternative.
- Garlic: 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Sesame oil: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Round dough wrappers: 1 package. If you cannot find Mandoo wrappers, you can use Japanese gyoza or Chinese wonton wrappers
Take a large bowl, gather ground beef, onion, cabbage, tofu, and noodles, mix them until well-combined. This is the mixture of stuffing.
Prepare another bowl, mix garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, and pepper together. This is your seasoning mixture.
Add the seasoning mixture to the mixture of stuffing. Mix them well.
Wrap your dumplings:
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of a dumpling wrapper. Wet your finger with water and moist the edge of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, press the edges to seal and then crimp them. Repeat the steps with the remaining filling and wrappers.
Cook the dumplings: You can steam, boil, fry, or sauté the dumplings at your preferences.
Serve the dumplings: enjoy them with a spicy sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
The traditional Korean dumplings are made with a beef or pork filling, but you can also use chicken or just vegetables instead.
People add Mandoo to beef broth or anchovy broth soup (Mandu guk) and serve them with a traditional cylindrical rice cake called (Tteok manu guk).
People can enjoy Mandoo as either a main dish or a snack, or an appetizer dish or a mess-free lunch.
Korean Dumpling (Mandoo) Recipe https://www.thespruceeats.com/korean-dumpling-mandoo-2118676 Accessed January 25, 2019